Who we are
We are a group of Columban ordained and lay missionaries together with co-workers, who see ourselves being called to be a missionary presence in Britain, encouraging and listening to the local Church in its efforts to reach out beyond its boundaries for the sake of the Good News of Jesus Christ.
Sharing our Columban mission experience, we respond to our call to evangelise in Britain by;
- raising awareness of, and eliciting support for, Columban missions
- working, in solidarity with the poor and the exploited earth, for justice, peace and the integrity of creation
- promoting life-giving relationships between peoples of different cultures and religions
- facilitating mission for others and the exchange of personnel and resources between Britain and other places where Columbans work.
Seeking the signs of God’s Spirit at work in our situation, we engage in mission in cooperation with others of like vision and in openness to what God is doing among us and in our world.
Columban Missionaries live and share the Gospel of Jesus by:
- Working with poor and exploited peoples.
- Seeking justice and dignity for those denied their rights.
- Developing faith communities in the local church.
- Promoting dialogue between Christians and those from other religions.
- Growing a culture of peace.
- Advocating respect and care for the earth and the environment.
Columban Spirituality is a way of life guided and empowered by the Spirit of Jesus Christ. St. Paul often speaks about it in terms of ‘walking in the Spirit.’ Without the activity of the Spirit in us, it is not possible to follow Jesus, accept his message and live by his values. Columban missionary Spirituality is about being led by the Spirit as we commit ourselves to engage in the mission of Jesus in today’s world.
“Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
The Columbans in Britain
Meet the Columban priests, Lay missionaries and co-workers responding to the call of mission in Britain.