James Trewby is the Columban’s Justice and Peace Education Worker.
In this role he helps young people and educators explore the relationship between faith and action, where possible through experience and encounter; “A life unlike your own can be your teacher” (St Columban).
James is a qualified teacher with an MSc in ‘Education and Training for Development’ and a PhD exploring life stories of activist educators. He has volunteered and worked for the Salesians and the Columbans and has varied experiences of community life, prayer, supporting volunteers, social action and activism. None of this adequately prepared him for having two small children.
Examples of his work include:
• Retreat days for secondary students including taking part in a climate strike
• INSET training for teachers including cooking lessons from asylum seekers
• Virtual encounters with missionaries and activists around the world
• Eco retreats in the gardens at St Columban’s
• Workshops exploring topics such as Catholic Social Teaching in action, vocation and mission
• Working collaboratively with others to develop www.justicefaithfamily.org, a website offering materials to help families explore justice and peace, learning and acting together for the common good
• Preparation and follow up sessions for groups visiting countries in the Global South
• Retreats for educators on themes such as ‘Caring for creation’ (Laudato Si’), ‘Peace’ or ‘Welcoming the stranger’
• Collaborative work with organisations such as Stories of Hope and Home, the Peace Education Network, Pax Christi, the London Mining Network, Birmingham Archdiocese, St Chad’s Sanctuary and CYMFed; “partnership is our way of being on mission” (Called to Communion, 2012)
• Supporting young adults completing the ‘Columban Faith in Action Volunteer’ programme, a year of personal development and growth, putting faith into action through projects connected to justice and peace education, asylum seekers/refugees and inter religious dialogue.
Please contact him at email@example.com with any enquiries or to arrange bookings.