The Columbans in Britain are pleased to be working in partnership with Paragon Skills, a leading national Apprenticeship training provider, to provide a Business Administration Level 3 Apprenticeship for a suitable candidate. The Apprenticeship programme is a Government scheme aimed at giving people the skills and experience they need to succeed in the work place. Through work-based learning, in-house training and tutoring provided by Paragon Skills, the apprentice will gain a national qualification and provide valuable support as a member of the Mission Office team.
The successful candidate will use and develop skills to assist primarily in the administration of fundraising, marketing, and finance activities, to welcome visitors to the Mission Office and to serve the administration needs of the Mission Office and the Charity.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and supervision of the Mission Office Administrator, the Administration Assistant will participate in and contribute primarily to the following duties:
- Data entry of donations, creating and updating donor records and responding to donor enquiries received by post (direct mail) and via promotional events (e.g. mission appeals).
- Answer the telephone. This includes transferring calls, passing on messages, taking credit/debit card payments, responding to enquiries and updating donor records in the Mission Office customer relations management database (Donorflex).
- Monitor Mission Office email accounts, in particular email@example.com. This includes forwarding emails, responding to enquiries and updating donor records in the Mission Office customer relations management database (Donorflex).
- Maintenance of the telephone system to serve the needs of the Mission Office and the Solihull House.
- Design and order promotional items, stationery and office supplies (e.g. calendar).
- Sale of merchandise (e.g. Subanen Christmas Cards), including ordering and monitoring stock, promotion/advertising, processing and sending orders.
- Maintenance of our Purchase Ordering System using Sage 50 Cloud Software.
- Welcome, guide and assist visitors to the Mission Office. This includes deliveries/collections by couriers and other services, suppliers and maintenance visits, and members of the general public wishing to donate, request a Mass, purchase items for sale, or meet with a priest.
- Maintain and update the reception area and welcome desk, including the Visitor’s Log, health & safety equipment and supplies, and Columban promotional items on display.
- Administration of room hire for meetings and events held at the Solihull House. This includes handling enquiries, formalising the booking, keeping a diary, and briefing the ‘event organiser’.
- Provide secretarial and administration support to the Regional Director, Bursar, Mission Office Administrator and to the Columban community.
- Participate in meetings of the Mission Office staff and undertake tasks and duties that arise which contribute to effective and efficient administration in the Mission Office.
The Columbans will offer the successful apprentice;
- An additional week of holiday (6.6) Vs 5.6 as advised by the government.
- The Charity grants up to 4 discretionary days of holiday over the Christmas period when the office is closed.
- Discretionary Christmas bonus.
- Discretionary paid compassionate leave and Occupational Sick Pay.
- Flexible working hours.
- Invitation to Charity conferences and webinars.
- Free parking on site.
- Unlimited tea and coffee.
- Close to Widney Manor Train Station (0.6 miles).
The successful candidate will be;
- Confident and courteous with people on the telephone, in person and in correspondence by letter and e-mail
- A team player
- Willing to learn and adapt to new ways of working
- Responsible for undertaking core learning for the role
- Ambitious, innovative, target driven and self-motivated
- Competency in Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Accuracy, attention to detail and an aptitude for problem solving
- Excellent verbal & communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Confidence in building relationships with various stakeholders
This apprenticeship is 30 hours a week and will be paid at £6 per hour. All applications must be made via the GetMyFirstJob.co.uk website, where full details of the application process can be found. The Columbans are looking for the successful candidate to begin on Tuesday 3rd May 2022, if not earlier.
Upon successful completion of this 18 month programme the apprentice will have achieved a Level 3 Business Administration qualification. A permanent opportunity and the option of further qualifications is possible for the right individual.