The Columban Missionaries are a Roman Catholic organization whose members work for the spread of the Christian message in Asian and South American countries.
Supporting communities of Christian faith, relieving poverty and hardship, promoting dialogue and reconciliation among people of different races, cultures and religions, and caring for the natural environment are the principle activities of our members.
Job title – Human Resources (HR) Advisor
Contract length: 12 months
Part-time hours: 15 per week
Salary: £8,000 – £10,000 p.a. (Full Time Equivalent Salary £20,000 – £25,000 p.a.)
You will provide HR support on employee relation issues including conducting disciplinary and grievances, organisational change, advising and supporting sickness absence management. In addition, the role will undertake recruitment, be responsible for on-boarding and the life cycle of all of our employees and our volunteers.
- Providing HR advice by phone, email and in person;
- Advising and supporting managers with employee relation cases: disciplinary, capability, grievance, sickness absence, lateness etc…
- Advising on legislative updates, reward, development, restructuring, changes to terms and conditions, holiday pay, induction and recruitment and retention;
- Support and leading where necessary on complex formal meetings;
- Work closely with the Trustees, Regional Council, the Regional Bursar, and managers within the Charity;
- Drafting and delivering training material where necessary;
- Provide regular HR updates for all employees;
- Draft and review documentation and template letters as required;
- Updating and maintaining the employee records and any databases as required;
- Providing advice and assistance on policies and procedures where necessary.
- Fully qualified or working towards CIPD qualification.
- Additional qualifications or training relevant to the role’s purpose and key responsibilities.
- Strong experience of employee relations;
- Solid experience of relationship management.
- Employment/volunteering in a charity or Catholic organisation.
- Experience of working in a small office/team
- Sound knowledge of employment law & employee relations;
- Generalist knowledge of HR;
- Good knowledge of Employment Tribunal process;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and specialist HR software.
- Knowledge of payroll systems and processes
- Knowledge of the Catholic Church and the charitable aims of the Columbans.
Skills and aptitudes
- Knowledge of relevant HR policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of the best practice on generalist HR activities;
- Experience in interpreting, advising and implementing such agreements and procedures;
- The verbal communication skills to communicate with a diverse client group;
- The written communication skills to produce succinct correspondence and reports;
- The ability to research, analyse and reason logically within tight and conflicting timeframes;
- The ability to write and present information;
- Experience in providing advice and support to senior managers.
- The ability to organise and manage your time and work and to show initiative in carrying out tasks.
- Team player and a willingness to adapt to new ways of working
- Calm under pressure;
Please use the application form and process to demonstrate how you fit the person specification and your ability to perform the key responsibilities of the role.
How to apply
Please download and complete the job application form and send this by email to: email@example.com
We plan to hold interviews via Zoom in the week beginning 22nd March 2021.
Application deadline: 14/03/2021
To find out more about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you as soon as possible (please note that we will be unable to respond to queries from 13th to 21st February inclusive).